Friday, April 12, 2024

 


The People We Keep - Allison Larkin

Have I ever mentioned that I am in a book club?  I think it has been almost eight years or so.  I don't have many things in my life where I have made that length of commitment, so it feels like a big deal.

Anyway, I was surprised when I found out it was my turn to host.  That means I get to choose the book, and everyone comes to my place to discuss it.  I didn't have anything in mind, so I went to the NY Times Best Sellers list and if you must know...I simply chose this book by its cover.

It's beautiful.

I am a little worried my fellow book clubbers will tell me that they found it like torture to finish it and they only did for the purpose of book club.  We all have different tastes in literature so it feels a little daunting to find a book you think everyone will enjoy.

For starters, this book is so sad.  From the beginning to the end.  I am anxious to hear what my friend Michelle has to say as a mental health therapist.

Quick overview, April is an abandoned child who becomes independent and believes she is not worth caring about.  Throughout the book, she would leave every relationship/situation before she got left.  I can relate to this.

To be honest, I found the book draining and very depressing.  It needed a few more people who actually enjoyed living.  I mean...the cover is a sunbeam...it's happy and well...the book is not.

I do think the book meets typical book club criteria...it will generate some discussion.  Yes, we eat, drink, and catch up but we do talk about the books we read.  Almost everyone who hears I am in a book club asks me this, so I felt the need to clarify that we do in fact discuss the book.

The book depicts the profound power of "found family", the quest to find inner peace, and to follow your passion...the very thing that ignites you to live, love and breathe.

It is a story that asks: What is home? Who is really your family...the one you were born into, or the one you collect on your journey?

And then there is the bigger question:  Who do you keep...and who do you let go?

April's character makes me want to grieve all of the children like her who really don't have a chance unless someone makes a point to grab her, help her, and refuse to let her go.

Throughout the book, I was concerned, frustrated, and sad for her.  Mostly, I wanted her to grow and find happiness.  Larkin ultimately allows her to do both.

I've moved all over the country during my lifetime.  I was not abandoned or in the foster system however, I thought of that old adage...wherever you go there you are...

April ran from one person to another...one place to another.  She chased cities...her hopes and her dreams.  

From experience, I can say that it is in fact true...wherever you go...that is just exactly where you are.  You might just be next to an ocean instead of the mountains but who you are and what you are running from is still there.

Who do we look for...what do we look for...connection.  Finding people who make you feel like home.  

That to me is worth chasing.

"We have people we get to keep, who won't ever let us go.  And that's the most important part."

No comments:

Post a Comment