Whistler
By Ann Patchett
The last book I read by Ann Patchett was Tom Lake. I
felt like I might have been the only person who didn't love it. I eventually
decided that maybe I should have listened to the audiobook instead…after all,
it's narrated by Meryl Streep. I still haven't gone back to give it another
chance, but maybe one day.
Whistler was my book club's August selection, and I
disappointed myself by not finishing it in time.
Life got in the way.
I've moved...again.
I've moved more times than I care to count, but this one
nearly did me in. The condo I bought came furnished…apparently, there was no
negotiating that. What I happily focused on instead were the sweeping
floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the water. What I conveniently overlooked?
It was on the third floor...with no elevator...and I was moving in 95-degree heat.
Several friends and family members gently asked, "Third
floor? No elevator? Are you sure?"
I didn't listen.
Now that the dust has settled, though, I've loudly
proclaimed that when I eventually sell this place, it's going furnished!
This past Saturday, I finally picked up Whistler and
finished it that evening. I couldn't decide if I loved the novel or if I was
simply basking in the reading nook Vee created by those beautiful windows
overlooking the water. Maybe it was both.
The novel opens with a wonderfully intriguing premise.
Imagine walking through the Metropolitan Museum of Art on an ordinary afternoon
when an elderly stranger begins following you. What would you do? I think most people would speed up…maybe head
toward security. Daphne freezes.
The man following her is Eddie Triplett, her stepfather…a
man she hasn't seen or spoken to in forty-four years.
Patchett moves effortlessly between present-day New York and
a freezing January night in 1980, when nine-year-old Daphne and Eddie survived
a car accident that should have killed them both.
This isn't really a story about the accident itself. It's
about everything that comes after.
It's about how families rewrite history. How children
quietly carry blame that was never theirs. How memory shifts over time. And how
love doesn't always fit neatly into the boxes other people expect.
One of my favorite scenes from that snowy night is when
Eddie distracts Daphne by telling her the story of a horse named Whistler. The
horse stays beside an injured woman stranded in a remote place, refusing to
leave her until help arrives. On the surface, it's simply a story to calm a
frightened little girl. But it's also a beautiful metaphor for loyalty, hope,
and surviving impossible circumstances.
What really happened that night?
Why did the marriage end?
Is it ever too late to understand the people we once loved?
As Daphne searches for answers, we uncover them alongside
her, piece by piece.
There was one part of the novel that absolutely floored me.
When everyone finally sits around the table together decades
later, no one…not one person…has ever asked Daphne what happened after she left
the wreck to find help.
Forty-plus years.
No one asked.
At first, I thought, How is that even possible?
But then I thought about real life.
How often are conversations completely one-sided? How many
people talk endlessly about themselves without ever asking a genuine question?
How many never remember the things you've shared or follow up on something
important in your life?
Suddenly, it didn't seem so unbelievable after all.
In many ways, that realization may have been the most
heartbreaking part of the novel.
Whistler is a quietly powerful story about memory,
family, forgiveness, and the stories we tell ourselves to survive. It's about
the family we're born into, the family we long for, and the family we
ultimately choose. It reminds us that every family has hidden histories,
misunderstood decisions, and acts of love that often go unnoticed.
And yes...
About that cover.
Who is Whistler? Why the horse?
Trust the journey.
Like so much in this novel, the answer arrives quietly, and
it's all the more beautiful because of it.
And one last thing...
I hope Daphne eventually writes that novel for Eddie. After
everything they endured together…and everything left unsaid…I think it's a
story worth telling.
I'd certainly read it.

No comments:
Post a Comment