Monday, October 1, 2012

Bittersweet October

I ended up closing out September with a bang.  I was feeling uncertain on Friday as to what my plans for the weekend were exactly, however, the weekend exceeded my expectations. 
 I was feeling a little mellow and somewhat sad summer was ending.  Well, officially, September 21st...but the weather is only now bringing the cool crisp mornings and evenings with a warm up during the afternoon.  
Fall is like a perfect pause between summer and winter, don't you think?  
The leaf-kicking, pumpkin-carving, cooler-boot and sweater weather is here...I am excited. 

I got a last minute invitation to one of my favorite bands, The Avett Brothers.  They put on a great outdoor show at Northerly Island along Chicago's lakefront. 

The Avett Brothers in action.


Saturday, my friend John invited me to go antiquing in Milwaukee.  I had never been and my entire life, whenever I have heard of Milwaukee, I think of two sitcoms I watched religiously; Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley.  Both of those shows took place in Milwaukee and often used the Milwaukee breweries as a backdrop for their storyline.  
I was dying to go.

Milwaukee lies along the shores and bluffs of Lake Michigan.  As we drove North, the leaves had already begun to change.  Fall is here! Milwaukee, known for its brewing traditions, is home to Miller Brewing Company which is the second largest beer maker in the United States.

 Al Capone, noted Chicago mobster, owned a home in a Milwaukee suburb where moonshine was made.  


This antique 'mall' was amazing.  Four floors of mid-century, vintage finds.  Here is some of what I took home.


These vintage crocks remind me of my dad.  I bought both; one is a gift.


Hard to see, but three tinted blue Ball Mason jars I quickly filled with foliage. I bought a few other items but I can't reveal them as they are gifts for others who read Off the Cuff.


Sunday, I met up with Katie, Braden, Cindy and Rick for brunch at Ditka's off Michigan Avenue. The Bloody Mary's are served with a beer chaser...no joke.  Along with the steak sliders it may be my new favorite place.

We shopped on Michigan Avenue and had a great time being together.  Although the weekend concluded September, I was excited to begin October.  I want to make sure I take the time to sit and watch the leaves turn...and enjoy the company of friends.  

Here's to a good month!



No comments:

Post a Comment