Wednesday, December 14, 2011

TWELVE DAYZ 'TIL CHRISTMAS PEOPLE!

On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me...well...I was very good to me...a new clutch from Anthropologie!
I love it!  The tassles may be my favorite part of the bag! 

Right now, Christmas feels everywhere.  Music playing in stores, homes are lit up, invitations are flying...and I can feel the energy mounting.

TWELVE DAYS 'TIL CHRISTMAS PEOPLE!!!

Twelve days...reminds me of the song...On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me...a partridge in a pear tree.  You know how it goes....fiiiiiiiive golden rings...blahblahblahblahblah...ladedahdeedah...and on and on!

Vee and I used to make up different lyrics relevant to what we were wishing for.  Probably stuff to add to our barbie collection or some board game...who knows...but I'm sure it was about getting not giving...losing the meaning, entirely. 

Thankfully, we all grow up.  We start thinking about things differently and that is just what I did.  I realized I didn't remember why it's referred to as the twelve days of Christmas.  Where did that come from and what does it mean?

I'll be honest with you...what I thought, was entirely wrong. 

After some research, I would say this may be the most misunderstood part of the church year...at least in my opinion.  Contrary to popular belief (and in my case), it is not the twelve days BEFORE Christmas but the twelve days AFTER. 

I have always known they were festive days!  However, the twelve days begin on Christmas Day and are known as Christmastide or Twelvetide. 

Currently, it is celebrated in different ways all around the world.  The actual traditions, time frames and interpretations have changed depending on religious and cultural beliefs. 

Some of my friends celebrate the night before; Christmas Eve.  My family celebrates on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.  Some, only on the twelfth night (which would be January 6th - again dependant upon which Christian tradition is followed) and some each of the twelve nights. 

Honestly, there was a lot of information and quite frankly, it seemed complicated. 

All I know for sure is that it's a time to give...a time to remember...a time to be with family and friends and enjoy eachother.  Be thankful and count your blessings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment