Monday, December 12, 2011

She's got legs!

Marilyn Monroe, the iconic sexy blonde bombshell of the 1940’s was and still is making headlines.  She always seemed larger than life and now that seems more fitting and relevant today than in the past.   
I had seen plenty of pictures on Face Book of the 26ft statue by sculptor Seward Johnson on Michigan Avenue.  Posed in the infamous subway-grate stance we all remember from the movie, The Seven Year Itch.  I hadn’t seen it myself yet, but as we drove away from our hotel on Michigan Avenue there it was, right next to the Chicago Tribune’s Tower.
Larger than life…just like she has always seemed to be.  I kind of gasped a little…wow; I thought to myself, it’s amazing. 
I found the statue intriguing and thought provoking.  As I did some research, apparently, people find it sexist, creepy and very controversial.  Sounds like Marilyn.  Causing a stir back then…causing a stir now. 
The statue is named, Forever Marilyn.  Personally, I’d like to see it be a fixture, but alas, it’s only scheduled to be there until spring of 2012.  I liked it.  It was awe-inspiring and captivating.  Everyone felt it.  The drama was there as I stood underneath her billowing skirt.  The same type of drama I image has always followed her.  People snapping pictures at all angles…asking others to shoot them over here…over there. 
Did you know Marilyn grew up in foster homes and orphanages?  A model and actress who tragically over-dosed at the age of 36.  Life in the spotlight…I can’t imagine. 
What do you think about when you think of Marilyn Monroe?  I think sexy, bombshell, boldness, iconic, powerful. Je ne sais quois sums it up.  You know, there is and was something about her. 
As we walked away, I thought, you know what they outta do?  In lieu of those boring white panties…they should put some red sparkly ones on her bum for the holidayz.  Marilyn was quoted saying, “We are all of us stars, and we deserve to twinkle.”    
Shine on Marilyn…stand loud and proud…just like you’ve always done, in my opinion.



Hmmm...she needs something to match the red toenail polish...
Come on Chicago, I dare you, add some flare!

From Marilyn's persective
C H E C A G O U!

1 comment:

  1. So I adore Marilyn Monroe. I'm fascinated by her and admire her, partly because she didn't have a perfect life. She struggled and was still classy but flirty. The statue though I think is a bit strange. And funny. But mostly strange. I'm really not too sure what stance to take on it.

    ReplyDelete