Friday, December 30, 2011

A fistfull of glitter...

(Photo credit to kelownaforniagirl)

“New Year’s Eve is like every other night; there is no pause in the march of the universe, no breathless moment of silence among created things that the passage of another twelve months may be noted; and yet no man has quite the same thoughts this evening that come with the coming of darkness on other nights.” Hamilton Wright Mabie is noted as saying that.
Interesting, right?  All year we cruise along…most of us in a routine…go to work…go to the gym…eat dinner and then go to bed.  Yet here we are…waving goodbye to 2011 and waving hello to 2012…thinking about all the changes we anticipate in the New Year. 
Tomorrow night…we may find ourselves with friends or family…sipping champagne and talking about next year.  Making plans…laughing…sharing and anticipating.  But…we only do this on the very last night of the year.  At least we do it at all? 
Vee, Craig and I were talking about it over dinner.  Goal versus resolution.  What’s the diff? 
A resolution is a promise that you make to yourself right now.  A firm decision to do or not to do something.  An intention.  I find that typically, a resolution is made half heartedly, it’s always short term, and it’s of something you should be doing anyway.  For example, resolutions are made around losing weight, saving more money, and working harder.

In contrast, a goal is a promise to yourself, which will bring you to your dreams.  It is a desired result, plan or commitment.  An objective toward which effort is directed.  Over the years, I have found that a goal doesn’t seem to be made with such laissez faire.

I plan to partake in making ‘resolutions’ tomorrow night, however, I will work at them as if they are goals.  It’s a stronger definition.  It’s a promise to me.   

I’m not going to make some big harry long list.  I don’t find it doable.   I may narrow them down to three.  Write them on a piece of paper and frame them.  Nothing too fancy, mind you. Something simple...a gentle reminder to keep moving forward. 
If I make too many...I may begin to drift...

Mel’s 2012 Resolutions GOALS
Be happy.
Be fearless.
Call mom.

As P!nk would sing....have you ever thrown a fistful of glitter in the air...

There is my fist full of glitter...a handful of confetti...my simple goals tossed out there to make happen. 

Adios 2011!  I’m planning to raise my glass to now!

Welcome 2012; I can’t wait to move forward fearlessly, happily and tell my momma all about it on the way. 




1 comment:

  1. Lovely post -- I've never given much thought of the difference between goals and resolutions. But I like this. I already have goals that I need to accomplish in 2012 (like finish my master's thesis), so I don't plan to make any new ones right away.

    Happy New Year, my dear!!

    ReplyDelete