Tuesday, October 18, 2011

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Twice within the past week I have been asked that very question.  Twice I’ve replied, “I’d like to go places…take pictures and write about it.” 
The reality is…I go a lot of places.  I take a lot of pictures.  I write about the experience…right here on Off the Cuff.  Am I grown up?  I hope not.  Do I get paid to do it?  No.  Does that question mean…what do I want to do when I get paid to do what I love?  I hope I just do what I love because I love to do it. 
It’s an interesting question isn’t it?  I know you’ve been asked and I wonder…how did you reply? 
We’ve all also wondered...who am I?  Am I doing what I want?  Am I living my best life (that is so Oprah)?  And I guess the easiest way to ask it is to find out what someone wants to be…when they grow up.  I want to be me…whoever that is at the time.  I hope I’m always trying to find out.  I hope I’m always changing.  Learning.  Exploring.  Sharing.  Loving.  Etc. Etc.  I hope for you too. 
If you haven’t figured out something about me…I like change.  Once I get one place my mind is already thinking about what is next.  What haven’t I done? What else can I do? 
I may not currently travel to exotic, far off countries or take award winning photographs or write profound articles or get paid to do any of it….but I am doing something I love. 
What do you want to be when you grow up?  I’m curious.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE that quote:) i need that sign in my house! the pursuit of happiness is a noble, vital and beautiful one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I knew what I wanted to be! One day I'll figure it out:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the longest time, I thought I had to decide what I want to be and stick with it, like I wrote my decision in stone. But things change so quickly, I've learned that sometimes what I want to be can't be defined in a single word. So I go with the flow, let my life and world change, and just make sure I keep doing things I love.

    ReplyDelete