Tuesday, October 11, 2011

All work and no play

Vermont has always been on my list of must see states.  In fact, it is my plan to land in Maine and drive my way down…over…basically, weave and zig zag my way through that side of the country.    One day.   So you can only imagine when I heard I was going to Vermont for work this time of year, I was ecstatic.  I had thought about trying to coordinate and stay for the weekend to maximize the sight-seeing but didn’t pull it all together in time. 
Nonetheless, I was so thrilled about going, I created a laundry list of things I wanted to do. 
Brew tours, Lake Champlain boat cruise, tour Ben and Jerry’s ice cream plant, hang around Church Street Marketplace, visit The University of Vermont, stop by a winery and see Stowe Mountain Resort...to name a few. 
I guess I forgot the reason I was there.  I had no idea when I arrived at the conference and had the agenda put in front of me; these people were here to work.  Here is an idea of what the agenda said.
7:30 Continental Breakfast (this was more like fill your plate, find your seat and eat while we start)
8:00 – 9:00 – New member introduction – 15 minutes each
To spare you all of the interesting details – 9:00 – 5:30 all about window coverings and eat through lunch and then they forgot the breaks! 
6:30 – Dinner with group
Uh…excuse me…when is the boat cruise?  Can we go on the infamous ice cream tour for dinner instead? 
Good grief…when do I see the state?  These people had no interest.  So, I fit it in.  I got up early and walked to Lake Champlain, an amazing 121-mile fresh water lake enveloped by the Adirondack High Peaks to the west and the Green Mountains of Vermont to the east…breathtaking and worth the early morning rise.
Then, as fast as my feet would take me in my heels, I walked to Church Street Marketplace and soaked up the 19-century, art deco red bricked area.  If you can imagine…it was lined with shops, bars, restaurants, street vendors, live music and great people watching.  The University of Vermont is nestled in there and it was fun to see the college students decked in Vermont sweatshirts with backpacks riding their bikes to class.  I managed to knock a few things off my list all before 7:30 am each morning.  It was the perfect way to start off my day.
I also convinced Richard to blow off the group dinner the first night and go to an Irish Brew Pub and sample some beers. 
Friday after the conference was over boss man wanted to catch an earlier flight back.  (Thankfully, the airline had oversold the flight and there was no chance we were getting on)  He was planning to stay in the airport and work.  What?  Are you kidding me?  Richard…PUH-LEASE!!!!  Can we go to Stowe Mountain Resort and have lunch or something?  I’ve just logged 40 hours in 3 days!  So we did!  The trees hadn’t quite changed but there were pockets of golden yellows, oranges and reds that were stunning.  I was so grateful to see it and the weather was amazing.
We drove by Ben and Jerry’s but didn’t have time for the tour.  Boo. 
I won’t be checking Vermont off of the list.  There is still too much I missed.  In fact, you should add it to yours if it’s not already on there.  It is a beautiful part of the country.  All kidding aside, I am grateful for my job and that my boss is a cool dude.  It makes traveling for work a little more fun than you can only imagine it could be.
Lake Champlain
Stowe Mountain Resort

1 comment:

  1. I've always wanted to go to Vermont too. Look at those fall colors!

    ReplyDelete