Wednesday, August 10, 2011

What's up Doc?

What's up is Dr. Mehmet Oz to be exact.  I totally dig this guy.  You know who it is...friend of Oprah's?  He has his own show now.  Well, he created this 'green drink' that is simply amazing.  My sister Lucinda found it in a magazine she subscribes to and suggested we try it.  Although, it can be one of those arduous tasks to fit in every single morning...it's well worth it.  Let me tell you why. 

Now, I'll begin with - I'm no doctor and this is all my humble opinion and you can take it for what it's worth.  But, it's so worth it that the effects I am sure are what had my doctor yesterday raving about my cholesterol levels and how healthy my blood results all came back.  (Kind of felt like an 'older' person telling everyone I saw yesterday how great my check up was :o).  I then found myself telling my doctor about 'the green drink.'

"Do you think that could be what put me in the 'wow, all your levels are awesome' category?  I do.  I can't explain it otherwise.  Especially when you may recall I found myself having ice cream for dinner several nights last week.  And, cheese and crackers....embarrassingly, pretzels a different night. (Note to self: must eat better at night).  Perhaps if I force myself to blog about my dinners a few times I'll take the time to prepare something healthy and invite a friend or two over to share.  Yes, I think I shall.  Who would like to come to dinner next week?  Btw, the doctor just said, "Keep doing what you are doing." Phew.

Anyway, I am calling it a 'miracle juice.'  I also now prepare it at night and reblend it in the morning.  (I found I was blowing off making it to snooze a little longer - problem solved!)

The other beautiful thing about this miracle juice is that I add stuff...banana's, blueberries, kale, whatever I feel like and it still tastes fantastic.  It doesn't look fantastic but it is.  Try it.  Here is how.

Ingredients

2 cups spinach
2 cups cucumber
1 head of celery
1/2 inch or teaspoon ginger root
1 bunch parsley
2 apples
Juice of 1 lime
Juice of 1/2 lemon

**This is high in fiber, rich in vitamins and low in calories.

You can see I added Kale and I also added a banana in this batch and I've started using Mila (a friend sent me a bag to try-doesn't change the taste at all)

I also add a small can of pineapple juice (found the consistentancy to be better with adding a liquid-you can try water or something else if you don't want the added sugar)and some ice
MIX and wallah!

I store them and then toss one back in the blender in the morning with some additional ice. So easy and it's just the clean up that takes any time at all.

I enjoy mine in this Starbucks tumbler.

It's a great way to start the day and I crave it.  Really, I do.  Hope you'll try it and let me know. 

Do you have a ritual in the morning?

3 comments:

  1. I'm definitely trying this. I went on a juice fast last week to detox before things start to get hectic, and I must say I feel considerably better, so I'm certainly a believer in juice miracles!

    Also, to answer the question you left on my blog, you can find the boots here: http://www.hudsonshoes.com/h-womens/boots/riley-tan.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard such good things about smoothies like this, but the spinach freaks me out! Le sigh. Maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pink, let me know what you think about the miracle juice. I also loved the website; I want...I mean need it all!
    D, sub out the spinach for another leafy green you do like...or just do the kale in place of it? Let me know if you try it!

    ReplyDelete