Thursday, August 4, 2011

If it seems like I am gettin lost in 'let's remember,' if it seems like I am gettin older..It's really that I'm just rememberin' my younger dayz...

Ah…summah time…bring on the al fresco dining.  My colleague and I are on a continual quest for new lunch spots to stir up the mundane choices located around the office.  Last week we cruised right by Simonton Lake Drive-in.  I said, “Oh my gosh, how cool…we simply must go there one day!”  So we did.  It was so fun and I couldn’t stop smiling the whole time!  Seriously, I think he called me a dork like fifty times (remember…embrace your fool!)


I loved the casual atmosphere (that felt party-like) where I was reminded of a form of outdoor dining I’ve been enjoying since I was a kid – the drive-in.   They even had a vintage car parked in one of the spots to complete the look.  Worked for me.

Can you picture the scene?  The waitress cruises out with a tray piled high with mugs of root beer, burger baskets and ketchup and mustard hanging out of her apron.  She hangs it from my partially-rolled up window and tells us to enjoy! 

Suddenly, I was like, “where’s the 1950s or 1960s music that should be playing?”  We created our own by turning on the car radio and finding an oldies station…it made me smile even bigger.  So much fun!   I enjoyed a cool breeze coming through the open windows of my car parked in one of the dozen or so stalls under a low awning.  I wish I could say that the waitress was on roller skates, but she wasn’t.  
We did order up delicious burgers, fries and the famous homemade root beer and a side of napkins please!
Drive-ins began in the early 1950s when a burger, shake and fries became an American classic.  People wanted to eat in a parked car to save time or I was thinking…how about those times when you don’t have anyone to go to lunch with?   At Simonton Lake Drive-in, it’s just like in the old dayz.  They have it all…corn dogs, chicken sandwiches, burgers…and next time I’m getting a chili dog with cheese fries…I just have to even if it means I chase pavement a little longer after work. 
I'm so going back when they have the car show!

I’m sure you are wondering how it ended?  I couldn’t resist…so I ordered a vanilla milkshake to go…yes, I did.  They also have the root beer float, chocolate shake and all of the other tasty treats you can imagine.  You simply must go.  Best.lunch.spot.ever!

3 comments:

  1. That sounds amazing! I love spots like that. See, I have a serious burger problem, and I don't mean the fast food chain variety. A lot of gourmet burger places have been popping up all over the city I live in, but to this day - and after having tried them all - I am still a loyal follower of the hole in the wall 1950's burger joing up in the unfashionable part of town, so I understand exactly how you feel!


    The Pink Monocle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you are here!!!!!!!!!!! Luvz you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly what you mean! It's always great to remember the simpler times :)

    xx
    www.befrassy.com

    ReplyDelete