Monday, August 15, 2011

Hey, bag lady!

As the cooler weather approaches I guess it's time to readjust the wardrobe...and the bags I carry.  Yea, I'm one of those people.  I think I got it from my mom.  She was always changing her purse to 'go with' her outfit.  We used to make fun of her when she would run out of time (most likely from trying to get five kids out the door)and would just jam her current purse inside of the new one.  I'm totally laughing to myself right now thinking of, 'purse inside of a purse.'  So not funny to anyone else but I am sure my sisters are rolling on the floor laughing about the memory.  Also, because I've caught all three of them doing it! Admitedly, I may also be guilty.
I'm actually getting a little excited about the return of my big sweaters, jeans and my fall handbags. I love fall clothes but personally I’m all about the big bags!  For me, the bigger the better.  I’m always surprised by people who can just carry a clutch as their ‘day’ bag.  It’s not that I think life is full of emergencies and what if I’m without…but where do they put their stuff?  You know;  chapstick, cell phone, car keys, etc.  Maybe I just like the look…in fact, I may not even have that much in there sometimes.   However, I typically have a notebook (for ideas and lists), other little bags inside the big bag which might hold – lotion, dental floss, small mirror, emery board, tide stick, variety of nude lip glosses, hair ties, hair clips, jewelry I took off at the gym and forgot to remove, some sniffs.  Also, mail, camera, phone, etc. etc.  Just stuff.  Although I’m a big fan of a hobo type carry-all, I’ve got all kinds of handbags to choose from.  I find it interesting all the names a handbag can be referred to:
A pocketbook, typically a smaller type bag used for evening
A purse, an everyday bag
A carry-all, a larger bag used to ‘catch all’ in my opinion
Shoulder bag, a bag ranging in sizes slung over the shoulder
Clutch , a small bag, typically for evening and usually comes without a handle
Satchel, a soft-sided case usually of leather, used to carry papers or books; usually has a handle and often has a strap
Duffle bag, a large bag usually used for travel or sports
Tote, a medium to large bag with two straps
Messenger bag, a bag with a long strap to be worn across the body
Sling bag, a bag with a long strap (similar to a messenger bag), yet smaller
Laptop purse, a medium to large bag that contains a padded interior compartment or sleeve for protecting a laptop computer.
Cosmetic bag, to hold cosmetics
Camera bag, to carry photographic equipment

Here are some of my go to bags for fall.
This is made by Cynthia Rowley.  It looks big and it's somehow even bigger when you open it up. Stuff gets lost but I love it.  I bought it on a whim at Bloomingdale's on a lunch hour in San Francisco way back when. 
An eggplant colored Tano bag.  Another bag I bought on a whim in San Francisco at a boutique in the Marina District.  I can usually find this bag in Vee's closet. 
I am a sucker for anthing hand-stictched.  This is a favorite by Lucky Brand.
This feels a little bit rock n' roll and the lining is a bright pink!  It's a Betsy Johnson number and I have a matching clutch that is perfect for a night out on the town.

Like I said, the bigger the better!  I love the teal green color.  Kind of unexpected.  I bought this at Sundance.

There you have it.  Some of my bag bliss.  I’m always on the hunt to add to my collection and typically like to start out a new season with a new bag.  I have yet to find the perfect fall bag.  I did hear the Olsen twins are launching a new handbag line through, The Row.  Prices range from…sit down for this…$4,700 - $39,000.  Justifiable?  Not for me.   
What are you carrying this fall?  Is it a handbag…or is it more like luggage?



2 comments:

  1. darling bags! i especially love that last teal one:) i too am looking SO forward to fall fashion. i've got so many more cute cold-weather outfits than warm weather ones. when it's hot out, i just want to plop on some shorts and call it a day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some cute bags! My mom changes her purse all the time, but I don't have the patience for that. I mostly use a grey one I can sling across my body. On rare occasions, if I want to look a bit nicer, I use a really pretty navy blue one. And when I was in school, weekdays were reserved for my black computer bag. But the rule is always the same: to be my bag, a bag must be able to carry a book, a bottle of water, my wallet, and my giant camera. Luckily, the ones I have all work.

    ReplyDelete