Friday, August 12, 2011

F L A S H M O B?

I’m totally infatuated…seriously; I must get involved in one of these!  And, I am not a dancer…at all…but doesn’t it look like so much fun?  I can completely picture myself throwing my hands in the air, spinning around, smiling and laughing the entire time!  And how great if you can pull off the ‘surprise’…sooo KEWL! 

Last night I ventured out with Katie and Cindy to see, ‘Friends with Benefits.’  Have you seen the previews or perhaps you've seen the movie?  It’s an American romantic comedy film directed by Will Gluck, starring Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis.  Total chick flick, but if you are a fan of Justin Timberlake you can just get lost in him.  The movie is totally predictable but it was fun and it got me totally inspired about flash mobs.  I know…really?  How much work are they?  I can only imagine having produced events.  Trying to get all of these people to show up at the same time; a feat in and of itself.  Then, to dedicate a month to learning the moves, the timing and then pulling it off?  OMG, but seriously, how awesome?

Katie mentioned that her sister, Melinda, recently went to a party where the girls secretly had been planning a flash mob.  They pulled it off. I have to talk to Melinda about the details this weekend while I’m at the lake.  (I’m totally getting excited inside about throwing a party simply so I can coordinate a flash mob.)  Who wants to come?

In case you aren’t quite sure what a flash mob is…it’s an event that starts with one person and you reach a critical mass.  You capture people’s attention and you motivate them.  I’m totally motivated!

I’m all about using ‘flash mobs’ in other ways too.  Like this blog.  Writing about the FEED Project, Warby Parker, TOMS (still yet to blog about), WeWOOD…see what I’m saying?  Making people aware of an idea and they get on board and then there is a domino effect.  It’s not dancing, but conceptually, similar?

Oprah did a flash mob with The Black Eyed Peas.  http://youtu.be/CttB6FmMgT4

Auh-mazing!  Man, oh man…I would have loved to have been there!  Not only do I love the BEP’s, it just looks like so much frickin’ fun!

It’s settled, I’m doing one.  In fact, I convinced Katie and Cindy to practice some moves that I caught on video (I'm so bummed because I can't get them to load - grrr!) but I'll include a few of the pictures I got.
The hair whip. The video of this is hilarious...I'm sorry I can't get it to upload.  I wonder if the people behind us might have been thinking a flash mob was about to start?  
The hand jive.  Again, all on video.  Soooo bummed! 

Honestly, I think we are all so excited about the potential of creating a flash mob, that we will most likely start planning it this weekend.  Seriously, with Katie’s background in Shades of Blue and her love for Glee, I’m committing her to choreographing the whole thing! 

I'm planning a future flash mob this weekend...what are you gonna do?




3 comments:

  1. aah! I saw a video where a guy proposed to a girl via flash mob! it was the sweetest, most over the top proposal ever. very clever, and just the TIME that he put into it was so sweet:) i'd love to do one too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A blog can definitely be a flash mob. I've always wanted to be part of one too. Maybe I should plan one as well. One with lots of singing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure if I am happy or sad about the video.... I pick sad. Would love to do a flash dance mob at Ricks office. Did you say a month of practice??

    ReplyDelete