Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Bell bottom blues...

I had a different post planned for today but I abandoned it when I saw a friend’s status on FB that said bell bottoms weren’t a good idea the first time around and that they are a horrible flashback…wondering what the heck they were thinking.  What??!! Boo! I totally dig bell bottoms, flared jeans, that whole bohemian, hippie, gypsy-vibe look.  I do. 

I was born in the early 1970s and I wish I could have been in my 20s then.  Woodstock just happened…Women’s liberation…the Civil Rights Movement…AND, the bell bottom, clog wearing, printed t-shirt, track suit wearing, flowers in your hair fashion trends! I have all of that in my wardrobe.

Actually, Webster says, the origins of bell bottoms are uncertain and some believe they came about from the U.S. Navy.  Wherever it came from, I like the care-free swing of bell bottoms and I just like the look in general.  I find it flattering.  Some people don’t.  Maybe, like the status this morning…they feel they are out-of-style and can’t imagine them poking their head back in?

But, I think fashion is more than just the way you dress.  It’s really like a historic overview of an era.  Some era’s, I can’t seem to let go.  I love the self-expression it allows…whether you are all about comfort or making a statement or even prevailing a custom.   Fashion affects everyone’s life…even if you aren’t a self-proclaimed ‘fashionista.’  I also absolutely adore John Travolta and he worn bell bottoms!  Yes, he did!!  Luckily, every morning we all get to decide what it is we want to wear.  No bell bottom blues here…they actually…ring my bell! 

Here are a couple of pictures (I did not take) of cool bell bottom looks I like...and I tossed one in of Johnny with a pair of pants with a slight flare...and an uber awesome poster from Woodstock - wonder if I can get my hands on a print of this for my wardrobe room?  KEWL!   
Are you only wearing skinny jeans these dayz…or will you rock some bell bottoms with me?

4 comments:

  1. I think bell bottoms and flares are fab! Especially with heels. They look amazing with long legs.

    Hope you have a wonderful day, Love.
    B.
    That Girl in Pearls

    ReplyDelete

  2. My sweet friend, very nice and interesting you site.
    When you want to take refuge in good ballads of yesterday, today and forever in all languages and genres I invite you to visit my blog and listen me.
    From this Saturday August 13th I share new female singers U.S.
    Ten romantic ballads in English.
    I am a broadcaster of Argentina.
    Best regards from Rosario-Argentina
    Albert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I could rock the bells but alas... I'm a boot cut gal! Lub chu!!

    ReplyDelete