Thursday, July 7, 2011

These are a few of my favorite things...

I can hear my mom singing this song to us now…or humming it while her thumbs were tapping the steering wheel.  I’ve seen this movie, like I’m sure all of you have, at least a thousand times.  As I write this I am playing the song over in my head and a few of my favorite lyrics in the song are:
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings;

Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes;

Silver-white winters that melt into springs;
These are a few of my favorite things.  Lalalala....

And then there is the chorus…
When the dog bites,
When the bee stings,
When I'm feeling sad,
I simply remember my favorite things,
And then I don't feel so baaaaaad. 
I don’t know about you, but somehow it does make me feel better.  So, with all that, I thought I’d share a few of my favorite things.

This is an antique carpenter's box my friend Anna-Maria gifted me for my 40th birthday.  She had one and I loved it.  She used it to store her jewelry so now I do as well.  Thank you again, AM for such a treasure!

How amazing are these?  My mother gave me these vintage gold chandelier earrings that were my grandmother's.  I've had to have them repaired a few times.  I'd be devestated to lose one, but what good are your favorite earings tucked into your favorite jewelry box never worn? 
Thank you Katie for this pad of paper!  I love what it says (For My Dear Friend) and to be used for Brilliant Ideas and Laundry Lists...I have tons of both of those ;).  What you can't see is that there is a different quote along the bottom of each page and it is perferated so you can tear it off and save it or tape it to something else.  I love it!  I think I'll use it to jot down blog ideas.


How K E W L are these mags!!  These wine magazine are circa 1964-1965.  So colorful and look so happy, don't they?  I have them displayed on a side table in my apartment.  They were my dad's.  He was a wine maker and spent a lot of time with my sister and I making different kinds of wine in our basement.  He traveled extensively in France and learned everything he could about different wines.  I like to drink wine and Pinot Noirs are my favorite.


Lastly, you may not know I helped produce a Jazz Festival in Park City, UT and I grew to love Jazz.  Did you know that this song has been recorded hundreds of times and John Coltrane did an extended, close to fourteen-minute version on his 1961 album?  I found Coltrane’s version differs significantly and the link I posted the sound quality isn’t great but he is one of the legendary Jazz musicians of all time and created a type of free flow Jazz with an avant-garde type of style.  That is just in my opinion.

What are a few of your favorite things?

1 comment:

  1. Whiskers on kittens (and puppies)...
    Warm woolen mittens...
    When my babies are getting along or sleeping.
    Road trips!!!!
    My dear friend back home!!!!!
    And her new blog. <3

    ReplyDelete