Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A Simple Life....

I have always tried to lead a simple life…nothing too fancy, not too complicated, no hairy situations, drama-free, laid-back and care-free.  It doesn’t always go that way.  And when it does start to get complicated, hairy or filed with drama…I walk away…wait, I run away and literally become quiet and shut down…or, in some cases, I move. 
Last night I was going through a pile of papers and I came across this quote: Three Simple Rules in Life.

I liked what it had to say and strive to live it.  Then I got to thinking...what are MY Simple Rules in Life?  I couldn’t keep it to three…they just kept coming. 
1.      Learn everything you can.  This is really my dad’s rule…but now it’s mine and I hope you will make it yours.  Remember, knowledge is power!
2.      Don’t take life too seriously…don’t forget, none of us get out alive. 
3.      Your body is your temple.  Do not stuff toxins and garbage in your mouth at every meal.  Take care of yourself.  You know what is good for you and what isn’t.  Everything in moderation…a little strawberry rhubarb pie every now and then never hurt ‘nobody.
4.      Be yourself.  Not everyone is going to be a genius, a millionaire, a supermodel, an athlete.  I say, just be a good person and we all know what that means.
5.      Volunteer.  Give back.  Do not miss an opportunity to help someone else.
6.      Be happy.  Smile.  Live well. 
7.      Treat your family and friends better than you treat yourself. 
8.      Work is necessary, but don’t make it your life.  Take time for yourself, your family and your friends.
9.      If you make a mistake…say something hurtful…or I don’t know…just act in an inappropriate way…apologize and move on…it’s easier to eat crow while it’s still warm.
10.   Never pass up an opportunity to pee.
11.  Save more than you spend.
12.  Call your parents every chance you get and tell them you love them and appreciate them and what they gave up for you and have done to help shape you.  One day you won’t be able to and it sucks worse than you ever thought it might.
13.  Form simple, easy sentences like, “How about lunch!” Remember this from yesterday?  Ask people to do things.  Get off the couch and be with others. It’s good for you.
14.  Love with your whole being.  Everyone has been hurt.  Heartache, aside from a toothache, can be the most painful, in my opinion.  But, if you don’t give someone all you have…what’s the point? 
15.  On that note, if someone tells you…”You are too good for me!”  Believe them…move on…and be with someone who deserves your awesomeness.
16.  Be open-minded.  PLEASE.  Listen to what people have to say and understand why they feel that way.  You don’t have to choose there direction but you never know when it will make sense.
17.  Do not judge others.  We are all fighting a tough battle…you really have no idea what theirs might be.
18.  If your job is like going to your execution every day, quit.  This is another one of my dad’s rules.  I love it and have used it.  You spend the best hours of the day at work…enjoy it. 
19.  Follow your dreams.  First figure out what they are…then go for it.
20.  Support your family and friends dreams.  Don’t make fun of or say something is impossible.  Nothing is impossible if you try. 
I’ll stop there…for now.  Maybe I’ll share the others another time? 
What are some of your simple rules?  I’m curious…

1 comment:

  1. I like this rule by Randy Pausch -

    The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people!

    ReplyDelete