I stumbled upon these 'Instructions for Life,' from the Dalai Lama. They seem wise and inspiring and I enjoyed reading them so thought I'd pass them for all of you to read.
1. Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk. Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wise. Author Unknown
2. When you lose, don’t lose the lesson. You need to pause between the words "lose" and "don't"...this simple lesson can go a long way.
3. Follow the three Rs: Respect for self, respect for others and responsibility for all your actions. Aretha sings about respect...song now floating through head...what you want...baby, I got it...
4. Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck. Often hard to realize at the time...
5. Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly. I believe in getting into hot water...it keeps you clean
6. Don’t let a little dispute injure a great friendship. Very apropro for me right now...
7. When you realize you’ve made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it. I've said it before...better to eat crow while it's still warm
8. Spend some time alone every day. A few hours of solitude is good for the soul
9. Open your arms to change, but don’t let go of your values. Change seems inevitable and should be embraced but the values part seems a little slippery...
10. Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer. So true...choose your words wisely
11. Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll be able to enjoy it a second time. Waaaay older...40 still feels young!
12. A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life. Home.Sweet.Home
13. In disagreements with loved ones, deal only with the current situation. Don’t bring up the past. This goes back to #6...life is starting to feel shorter and shorter...talk it out and move on
14. Share your knowledge. It’s a way to achieve immortality. Learn something new everyday...love it when someone teaches me something
15. Be gentle with the earth. Reduse, Reuse, Recycle
16. Once a year, go some place you’ve never been before. Love this one and plan to implement asap - in fact, starting this weekend!
17. Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other. Suddenly, I've forgotten about Aretha and remembered that Cheap Trick song...I want you to want me...I need you to need me...I'd love you to love me...I'm beggin' you to beg me...
18. Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it. Success to me, means you tried at something whether you fail or not...just try
19. Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon. Ah...reckless abandon...just don't let someone be reckless with your heart and don't be reckless with someone else's...
What are some of your instructions for life?