Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Four Eyes

I wear glasses.  Well, I wear contact lenses for the most part, although, I do love how glasses can be a major part of a personal image or self expression.  For example; Groucho Marx, Buddy Holly, Elton John, to name a few.  I’ve thought a lot about LASIK and anticipate I will eventually get over my fear and do this. I have considered it like almost everyone else, probably because of all the unpopular aspects of wearing glasses. I participate in sports and growing up I was a swimmer.  You can’t wear glasses and be on the swim team and plan to have an effective flip turn…you just can’t.  Thankfully, I have contacts, but you know where I am going with that.   Certain jobs…the restaurant industry comes to mind…the line cook…ew, greasy lenses or the dish washer and opening up the hot dishwasher to find the rapid temperature change completely fogging up the lenses; temporary eyesight impairment.  Taking a walk in the rain in glasses… problematic and then not to mention the everyday wear and tear…scraped up, stepped on, temporarily taped until you can figure out when to make an appointment.  Having just exhaled all that information, LASIK has been added to the bucket list. 

I spoke in an earlier blog about The FEED Project.  A company who charitably offers a product and in return provides a meal in exchange for your purchase.  By the way, have you gotten your FEED bag yet?  I have discovered a similar concept model for eyewear.  Introducing, Warby Parker.  www.warbyparker.com

If you wear glasses, you simply must get your next pair from WP; A New Concept in Eyewear.  You buy a pair, they give a pair!  LOVE IT!  Not only that, WP partnered with VisionSpring.  The model creates jobs for women and the economic incentive for them to continuously provide glasses as their customers lose or break their glasses and their prescriptions change. Equally important, it provides community members the dignity to choose whether or not they want glasses and thereby avoids the culture of dependence that often accompanies foreign aid. Over five years, Neil Blumenthal expanded VisionSpring's programs to 10 countries and developed the first line of reading glasses for people living on less than $4 per day. (I took all of that information off their website)

How amazing?  Seriously, living on less than $4 per day?  Maybe we should try that?

I love their mission statement.  WP was founded with a rebellious spirit and a lofty objective: to create boutique-quality, classically crafted eyewear at a revolutionary price point.
I also love a good deal, so naturally, I ordered a pair to try them out.  First of all, I was able to choose five (5) styles I liked and they sent them to me to try on. FUN!  I picked a frame, returned the temporaries and sent them my prescription.  Not even five (5) days later, I had my new glasses.  They are just as well made as the Gucci and Prada ones I paid a mint for. 
I went with the frames called, The Huxley.  Chunky, black...a little bit Buddy Holly. 
Until LASIK...try rockin some Warby Parker's!

1 comment:

  1. I'm telling you those are super cute... But LASIK!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete