Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Embracing ‘my fool’

If you haven’t noticed, I love quotes, poems, books, etc.  In the back of my day planner (yes, I still have one of those – there is something about writing stuff down I still like) I have ‘favorite quotes and sayings.’  I was looking at my calendar because I was thinking a friend’s birthday was coming up and sure enough it’s today! (Note to self: call Kirk)

Anyway, I flipped to the back of my planner and was reading through the pages and came upon this one I had forgotten about.  It’s one of my favorites and I thought I’d share it with all of you.

"I must learn to love the fool in me--the one who feels too much, talks too much, takes too many chances, wins sometimes and loses often, lacks self-control, loves and hates, hurts and gets hurt, promises and breaks promises, laughs and cries. It alone protects me against that utterly self-controlled, masterful tyrant whom I also harbor and who would rob me of human aliveness, humility, and dignity but for my fool." -- Theodore I. Rubin, MD

I like it because sometimes I think this can be a real challenge for people…loving your silliness…goofiness…weirdness…being yourself? Do you know what I mean?  I say embrace it.  I love goofy, silly, weird people.  
  
I kept thinking about poetry in general and it reminded me of Vee’s wedding.  My niece, Ashley, read a poem in her ceremony.  I wish I could remember which one it was.  But, Ashley, Noah (an old boyfriend but still a friend) and I were laying around our apartment in Sausalito, CA.  Ash was reciting her lines.  Noah says whoa, whoa, whoa, there is an art to reading poetry. (‘tis true) How you pause…it changes the way it reads.  He stood up and read out load his interpretation and put in all the pauses and we just sat there…engrossed and enchanted at how completely different and how all of a sudden…amazing the poem sounded.  You have to try it.  Slow down…pause at the breaks…find your inner drama and say the words out loud.  Start with the one I included above. 

The older I get, the more I am getting to enjoy the fool in me.
Vee, Me and Ashley - at times...we look like triplets!

Noah, the poet and my sweet little Bella Fox

No comments:

Post a Comment